Admiral Adair graduated from the Naval Academy in the class of 1926. Following assignments on board the Mississippi, Toucey, Blakeley, and Patoka, he studied communications at the Naval Postgraduate School. From 1935 to 1938 he served as radio officer on the staffs of Destroyer Squadrons Six and 14. After a staff assignment at the Naval Academy, he reported as flag lieutenant to Admiral Thomas Hart, Commander in Chief Asiatic Fleet, and was in that job when World War II broke out. He moved to Corregidor and then escaped to the Dutch East Indies as senior man on board the schooner Lanikai, sailing by night and hiding by day. From 1943 to 1945 he took part in the planning and execution of every major amphibious operation in the Southwest Pacific Area while serving on the staff of Rear Admiral Daniel Barbey, Commander Seventh Amphibious Force. After duty in OpNav and BuPers, he commanded attack cargo ship Marquette, served on the CinCPacFlt staff, and then in the office of the Comptroller of the Navy, William Franke. He retired in 1956.
RADM Adair had lived in Annapolis since 1974. He died of pneumonia on July 2, 1993 at the Anne Arundel Medical Center. He had Alzheimer's disease.
Other Comments: To view award citations, click on the ribbons in the Ribbon Bar box.
NEC 116X-Unrestricted Line Officer - Surface Warfare (In Training)
Location Not Specified
Country/State Not Specified
USS Mississippi (BB-23) Details
Mississippi Class Battleship: Displacement 13,000 Tons, Dimensions, 382'4" (oa) x 77' x 27' (Max)Armament 4 x 12"/45 8 x 8"/45, 8 x 7"/45 12 x 3"/50, 2 21" tt. Armor, 9" Belt, 12" Turrets, 3" Decks, 9" Conning Tower. Machinery, 10,000 HP; 2 vertical, triple expansion engines, 2 screws. Speed, 17 Knots, Crew 744.
Operational and Building Data: Laid down by Cramp, Shipbuilding, Philadelphia, PA., May 12, 1904. Launched September 30, 1905. Commissioned February 1, 1908. Decommissioned July 21, 1914. Stricken July 21, 1914.
Fate: Sold to Greece, July 21, 1914 & renamed Kilkis. Sunk by German bombers while moored in Salamis near Athens on April 10, 1941.