McCool, Richard Miles, Jr., CAPT

 Service Photo   Service Details
17 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Last Primary NEC
111X-Unrestricted Line Officer - Surface Warfare
Last Rating/NEC Group
Line Officer
Primary Unit
1944-1945, 111X, USS LCS(L)(3)-122
Service Years
1944 - 1974

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

6 kb

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Clifford Gill (Junior), QM2 to remember McCool, Richard Miles, Jr. (MOH), CAPT.

If you knew or served with this Sailor and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Contact Info
Home Town
Last Address
Bainbridge Island, Washington

Date of Passing
Mar 05, 2008
Location of Interment
U.S. Naval Academy Cemetery - Annapolis, Maryland
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Columbarium, Section 41

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Additional Information
Last Known Activity


Richard M. McCool, Commanding Officer

"On 8 December 1944, United States Ship, Landing Craft Support, Large, One Hundred and Twenty Two was commissioned at Lawley Shipyards, Neponset, Massachusetts.
This ship was assigned to Group TEN of LCS (L) Flotilla FOUR.

An initial trial run was held to check the equipment on board. From the 12th to the 16th of December 1944 the ship was enroute to Little Creek, Virginia. On the 16th of December anchored overnight at Little Creek, Virginia. Left this anchorage the next morning only to arrive at Solomons, Maryland. From 17th to 27th of December was spent at Solomons during which time the ship and crew went through a strenuous training program that consisted of fire-fighting, damage control, salvage and rescue operations, and last but not least gunnery exercises and rocket firing.

On the 27th of December the ship sailed to Norfolk, Virginia., where it stayed for repairs and general maintenance work in preparing for sea. At that time some members of the crew were granted 72-hour and 48-hour passes. Orders came for the 122 to shove off to sea on the 27th of December 1944, and we arrived in Key West, Florida on the 4th of January 1945. Four days were spent in Key West, Florida, where liberty was enjoyed while maintenance work was accomplished.

The 122 left on the 8th of January and arrived in Coco-Solo, Panama on the 20th of January. There was a short stay to wait our turn through the Canal. We passed through the Canal and stopped in Balboa for a few hours, and then sailed into the smooth Pacific for the first time. From the 23rd of January to the 3rd of February we sailed along the coasts of Panama and Mexico.

We arrived in San Diego, which felt very cold after leaving Panama. During the first 10 days in San Diego, mostly repairs occupied the crew?s and ship?s time. After that a training program was carried out. Practice invasions were made along with gunnery exercises, rocket firing and salvage and rescue work. Captain N. Phillips, USN, was in charge of all maneuvers this vessel undertook.

The LCS 122 left San Diego on a gloomy day of rain, and headed for Hawaii. On the 24th of March we arrived in Pearl Harbor just to do more training and get more repairs. Rocket invasions were practiced by LCS (L) Group TEN under the command of Lt. Commander Dodson, USN.

The time from the 17th to the 24th of April was spent sailing to Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands. We spent 3 days in Eniwetok, and on the 27th sailed for Guam. We arrived in Guam, Marianas on 3 May, only to be redirected and sent to Saipan in the Marianas. We spent very little time in Saipan, taking on provisions, fuel and water. Orders next were to sail to Okinawa. We left Saipan on the 5th of May for Okinawa and arrived on the 10th.

Arrival in Okinawa was very warm, with air raids every few hours of every night, and sometimes in the day. While at Okinawa the 122 was attached to the Fifth Amphibious Forces. The assignment consisted of anti-suicide boat patrol and radar picket patrol with the emphasis on picket patrol. On the 29th of May this vessel shot down one enemy aircraft and was given credit for an assist on another.

On the 10th of June while on radar picket patrol this vessel assisted the stricken USS WILLIAM D. PORTER (DD-579), which had taken a near miss by a Japanese suicide plane which had dropped a bomb near the stern that opened plates on the destroyer?s bottom. Salvage work proved to be fruitless, and ninety-nine members of the crew from the PORTER were taken off by this vessel.

On the night of the 11th of June 1945, three Japanese planes attacked this vessel. One was shot down, an assist was credited on another, and the third plane crashed into the base of the pilothouse, causing heavy casualties. Eleven men were killed and twenty-nine were wounded. Due to the extensive damage suffered, the ship had to be sent to a rear area for repairs.

The LCS 122 left Okinawa on 22 June, enroute to Leyte, Philippine Islands, and arrived there on the 27th of June. Battle damage repairs were effected here during the first 7 weeks. After that a program of logistics was carried out to complete the necessary preparations for going to sea. Gunnery exercises were also held during the month of August. The 122 stayed in Leyte for V-J Day celebration and left the next morning on September 2nd for Tokyo Bay, Japan.

The 122 arrived in Japan on the 11th of September, in Tokyo Bay under peaceful conditions. After two days of laying around waiting for a duty assignment we were assigned to carry liberty parties of the larger ships of the U.S. Fleet. These consisted of runs to Tokyo, Yokohama and Yokosuka, which were all rotated. To this day our assignment is the same and we remain in Tokyo Bay awaiting our turn to sail back to the States again. The LCS (L) 122 took us up the road to Tokyo and it will also take us back."

Captain McCool recovered from his wounds, and remained in the Navy for 30 years, retiring in the early 1970's. In the last half of his career he joined the Navy's Public Affiars organization. He is one of the few living servicemen who saw action in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He currently lives in Washington state.

For his heroic actions on 10-11 June 1945 Captain McCool was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. His citation is presented below:


The PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES takes pleasure in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR to LIEUTENANT RICHARD MILES MCCOOL, JR United States Navy for service set forth in the following citation:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above the call of duty as commanding officer of the USS LCS 122 during operations against enemy Japanese forces in the Ryukyu chain, 10 and 11 June, 1945. Sharply vigilant during hostile air raids against allied ships on radar picket duty off Okinawa on 10 June, Lieutenant McCool aided materially in evacuating all survivors from a sinking destroyer which had sustained mortal damage after the devastating attacks. When his own craft was attacked simultaneously by two of the enemy?s suicide squadron early in the evening of 11 June, he instantly hurled the full power of his gun batteries against the plunging aircraft, shooting down the first and damaging the second before it crashed his station in the conning tower and engulfed the immediate area in a mass of flames. Although suffering from shrapnel wounds and painful burns, he rallied his concussion-shocked crew and initiated vigorous firefighting measures and then proceeded to the rescue of several trapped in a blazing compartment, subsequently carrying one man to safety despite the excruciating pain of additional severe burns. Unmindful of all personal danger, he continued his efforts without respite until aid arrived from other ships and he was evacuated. By his staunch leadership, capable direction and indomitable determination throughout the crisis, Lieutenant McCool saved the lives of many who otherwise might have perished and contributed materially to the saving of his ship for further combat service. His valiant spirit of self-sacrifice in the face of extreme peril sustains and enhances the highest tradition of the United States Naval Service.

Harry S. Truman

Other Comments:

Richard M. McCool, Jr.
Lieutenant, U.S. Navy
USS Landing Craft Support (L) (3) 122 n

By Peter Collier

Richard McCool was fifteen years old when he finished high school and nineteen when he graduated from the University of Oklahoma. He received an appointment to the Naval Academy as a member of the class of 1945, but because of the war the course was compressed into three years, and the class of 1945 graduated early.

Shortly before graduation, McCool attended a presentation given by a captain recruiting officers for amphibious craft. This kind of duty didn't have the tradition or romance of the deep-water navy, but the midshipmen were offered the possibility of commanding their own ship instead of being junior officers on a large vessel. Midshipman McCool signed up. After graduation, he picked up his ship in Boston. It was an LCS, similar in looks to the landing craft that brought soldiers ashore in invasions, but instead of a blunt bow with troop ramps, it had a sharp bow and was heavily armed with 40 mm and 20 mm guns, .50-caliber machine guns, and 120 preloaded 4.5-inch rockets. It carried a crew of seventy, including six officers.

McCool sailed for San Diego through the Panama Canal in December 1944. By June 1945, his ship was in Okinawa, part of a unit made up of four LCS ships and three destroyers patrolling for Japanese kamikazes. Behind the LCS picket line, the destroyers picked up enemy aircraft on their radar and radioed the information to McCool and the other LCS commanders, who attempted to shoot down the planes as they passed overhead.

On June 10, one of the Japanese planes got through and hit one of the destroyers. McCool's ship was the closest and rushed to help the sinking ship. Along with another LCS, McCool picked up its surviving crew members and transferred them to another American ship.

There were many radar sightings the next day.

Then suddenly kamikazes dived down through the overcast sky. Instead of heading for the destroyers, the first pilot pointed his plane at McCool's LCS. McCool's gunners opened fire and knocked the plane down, but another kamikaze was right behind it. Their guns hit the second plane as well, but it crashed into the ship's conning tower. McCool, suffering chest wounds and burns, was knocked unconscious. When he came to, the conning tower was on fire. He managed to get down to the main deck, and acting instinctively -- he would remember almost nothing of the ensuing events -- he rallied his crew to fight the fire that threatened to engulf the ship. When he heard that several men were trapped in the burning deckhouse, he went in to rescue them, carrying one of them to safety on his back despite his burns. He continued to command his ship until help was on the way. Then one of his lungs collapsed and he passed out again.

After two months in a hospital in Guam, where he was one of the first servicemen to be treated with massive doses of the new drug penicillin, McCool was transferred to the Oak Knoll Naval Hospital in California and then back home to Norman, Oklahoma. He received the Medal of Honor from President Harry Truman on December 18, 1945.

McCool was well enough to go back on active duty in mid-1946. After serving in the Korean and Vietnam wars, he retired as a Navy captain in 1974. 


Richard M. McCool Jr., of Bainbridge Island, died peacefully of natural causes at Harrison Hospital, Bremerton, on the morning of March 5, 2008, with his wife and children at his bedside. 

A retired Navy Captain, McCool and his wife Carole Elaine, (married in 1945,) settled on Bainbridge Island when he retired from the Navy in 1974. He was born in Tishomingo, Oklahoma, January 4, 1922, of Betty Fulton McCool and Richard M. McCool. He graduated from the U. of Oklahoma in 1941 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, and from the Naval Academy in 1944, entering active service in the Pacific as CO of the LCS(L)122. He was badly wounded in an encounter June 10 and 11, 1945, off Okinawa and awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for valor and bravery by President Harry Truman. He subsequently saw service in the Korean War and the Vietnam War. He obtained a Master’s of Science Degree in Public Relations from Boston University in 1955. He served on the staff of several fleets and shore stations and did tours of duty in Thailand and Japan. Upon retirement he became active in local Democratic Party affairs and served two terms as Chair of the Kitsap County Democratic Party. He also, along with Mrs. McCool, spent great amounts of time in volunteer work for the Bainbridge Island Unitarian Fellowship, two Seattle theaters and the Olympic Music Festival Capt. McCool is survived by a daughter, Carolyn McCool of Vancouver, BC, Rick McCool and his wife Cindy, of Gig Harbor, John McCool and his wife Mary, of Kitsap County, and his grandchildren Michael James, Kristin, Shana, Kate and Nicholas, his sister Fran Terry and numerous nieces and nephews. Cremation has been performed by the Cook Family Funeral Home.

 Photo Album   (More...

  1937-1941, University of Oklahoma

University of Oklahoma

 University of Oklahoma Details

Contact Phone Number
Not Specified

Contact Email
Not Specified

Year Established

Not Specified


Last Updated:Jan 19, 2010
My Photos From This College
No Available Photos

  3 Also There at This College:
  • Hay, George, LTJG, (1944-1947)
  23 Also There at This College From Other Sites:
  • Hicks, Stephen, Capt USAF(Ret), (1971 - 1992)
  • Hill, William, MGen USMC(Ret), (1917 - 1955)
  • Peshek, Michael Emile, Capt, (1939 - 1944)
  • Smith, Luther, Jr. (2nd LT ), (Not Specified)
Copyright Inc 2003-2011