Mark, Oscar Haslup, Jr., HM3

 Service Photo   Service Details
View Time Line
Last Rank
Petty Officer Third Class
Last Primary NEC
HM-0000-Hospital Corpsman
Last Rating/NEC Group
Hospital Corpsman
Primary Unit
1950-1950, HM-0000, 7th Marine Regiment/3rd Bn (3/7)
Service Years
1947 - 1950
HM-Hospital Corpsman

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

32 kb

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Felix Cervantes, III (Admiral Ese), BM2 to remember Mark, Oscar Haslup, Jr., HM3.

If you knew or served with this Sailor and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Miami, FL
Last Address
Miami, FL

Casualty Date
Dec 07, 1950
Hostile-Body Not Recovered
Gun, Small Arms Fire
Korean War/CCF Intervention (1950-51)/Chosin Reservoir (Battle of Changjin)
Location of Interment
Arlington National Cemetery - Arlington, Virginia
Wall/Plot Coordinates
MH-56 (memorial marker)

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Additional Information
Last Known Activity

Hospital Corpsman Third Class Mark served with Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division. He was Killed in Action while tending his wounded comrades in Korea on December 7, 1950. His remains were not recovered.

Service number: 5581968

Korean War/UN Offensive (1950)/Operation Wonson
Start Year
End Year

On October 10, Lieutenant Commander Bruce Hyatt was leading a force of one destroyer, USS Endicott and five minesweepers on a minesweeping patrol off Wonsan. The five minesweepers were the USS Pirate as flagship, USS Incredible, USS Kite, USS Redhead and USS Pledge, all similarly armed and built during World War II. On the morning of October 12, the formation was steaming in a channel between the islands of Rei-To and Soku-Semu when at 11:12 am, the warships changed course to 258 degrees into unswept waters. The channel is 2,000 yards (1,800 m) wide and 14 miles (23 km) long.

At 11:54 five contact mines were discovered in intervals of 50 yards (46 m) and disposed of. Six minutes later at 12:01, a helicopter from the Endicott reported that there were three lines of mines off Rei-To, Soku-Semu, Koto and Roto. The specific position of the mines was not clarified but still the American vessels altered their intended course and headed for the field. Due to the threat of contact, Lieutenant Commander Hyatt ordered his ships to battle stations and the crews to disperse themselves evenly across the ships in order to minimize casualties caused by an explosion.

While making the wide turn into the direction of the mines, USS Pirate struck a mine at 12:09 along frame sixty-two on the starboard side. A giant column of water was sent up and at the same time the North Korean shore batteries from Kei-To and Soku-Semu began to shoot shells at the stricken ship. As soon as the communists engaged, the Endicott and the remaining minesweepers returned fire on at least three separate batteries.

Pirate began listing to port at about twenty degrees and when it reached fifteen, Lieutenant Cornelius E. McMullen ordered the evacuation of his ship. Within four minutes, the Pirate was hit, capsized and sank completely, taking down six enlisted men. Around sixty men went adrift, some in life rafts. At 12:04, just as the minesweeper turned over, the shore batteries resumed their shooting, this time on the sailors in the water.

Because of the accurate battery fire, the American ships could not achieve a complete rescue of the survivors for over four hours. Dozens of the adrift men were wounded by shrapnel and one man was killed. Five minutes after the Pirate was hit, the Pledge was engaged in a gunnery duel with one of the batteries. Simultaneously, the Pledge was hit by an artillery shell and struck a mine. Her commander, Lieutenant Richard O. Young, ordered his men to seal hatches and save the ship but about forty-five minutes later the crew abandoned the vessel and the Pledge was underwater. Five men were killed.

The KPA shore batteries were eventually silenced after several hours of fighting, enabling the American rescue of the remaining survivors. USS Redhead was heavily damaged in the battle; she received several hits from the batteries while rescuing survivors from both the Pirate and the Pledge. A total of twelve United States Navy sailors were killed in action and at least forty-three were wounded.
My Participation in This Battle or Operation
From Year
To Year
Last Updated:
Jun 3, 2018
Personal Memories
My Photos From This Battle or Operation
No Available Photos

  7 Also There at This Battle:
Copyright Inc 2003-2011