Barton, Edward John, Sr., TMC

 Service Photo   Service Details
View Time Line
Last Rank
Chief Petty Officer
Last Primary NEC
TM-0000-Torpedoman's Mate
Last Rating/NEC Group
Torpedoman's Mate
Primary Unit
1940-1943, TM-0000, USS Triton (SS-201)
Service Years
1925 - 1943
TM-Torpedoman's Mate
Four Hash Marks

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

5733 kb

Home State
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Nicole Summers, MMFN to remember Barton, Edward John, Sr., TMC.

If you knew or served with this Sailor and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Portsmouth, NH
Last Address
35 Columbia St
Portsmouth, NH
(Wife~Constance Angeline Barton)

Casualty Date
Apr 09, 1943
Hostile, Died while Missing
Lost At Sea-Unrecovered
Pacific Ocean
World War II
Location of Interment
Not Specified
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Not Specified

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
World War II FallenUnited States Navy Memorial The National Gold Star Family RegistryWW II Memorial National Registry
  2016, World War II Fallen
  2016, United States Navy Memorial - Assoc. Page
  2016, The National Gold Star Family Registry
  2016, WW II Memorial National Registry

Submarine War Patrols
Start Year
End Year

Not Specified
My Participation in This Battle or Operation
From Year
To Year
Last Updated:
Nov 13, 2017
Personal Memories

First patrol
Assigned to Submarine Division 62,[10] Triton made a training cruise to Midway from 30 August to 15 September, then participated in local and fleet operations in the Hawaiian area. On 19 November, the submarine headed west to conduct a practice war patrol and arrived off Wake Island on 26 November. On 8 December, she saw columns of smoke rising over the island but assumed it was caused by construction work being done ashore. That night, when she surfaced to charge her batteries, she was informed by radio Wake and Pearl Harbor had been bombed and was ordered to stay out of range of Wake's guns. The next morning, Triton observed the Japanese bombing the island. On the night of 10 December, she was surfaced, charging her batteries, when flashes of light from Wake revealed a destroyer or light cruiser on a parallel course. The submarine was silhouetted against the moon, and the enemy ship turned towards her. Triton went deep and began evasive action. When the Japanese ship slowed astern, the submarine came to 120 feet (37 m) and fired four stern torpedoes?the first American torpedoes shot during World War II?on sonar bearings.[11] She heard a dull explosion 58 seconds later and believed one had hit the target, then went to 175 feet (53 m) and cleared the area. (No sinking was recorded, and she was not credited with one.)[12] After their initial repulse on 11 December, the Japanese returned with two aircraft carrier, Hiryű and Sôryű; Triton was not informed,[13] and made no attacks on them. Neither did she make any effort to evacuate the 350 Marines.[13] On 21 December, the submarine was ordered to return to Hawaii, and she arrived back at Pearl Harbor on 31 December.

My Photos From This Battle or Operation
No Available Photos

  313 Also There at This Battle:
  • Azer, John, CAPT, (1928-1948)
  • Bernard, Lawrence, RADM, (1937-1971)
  • Betty, Charles, PO2, (1941-1945)
Copyright Inc 2003-2011