Carter, James Edward, RM2c

 Service Photo   Service Details
26 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Petty Officer Second Class
Last Primary NEC
Last Rating/NEC Group
Primary Unit
1942-1943, 23CQ, USS Wahoo (SS-238)
Service Years
1941 - 1943

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Tommy Burgdorf (Birddog), FC2 to remember Carter, James Edward, PO2.

If you knew or served with this Sailor and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Monroe, LA
Last Address
Monroe, LA

Casualty Date
Oct 11, 1943
Hostile, Died while Missing
Lost At Sea-Unrecovered
Pacific Ocean
World War II
Location of Interment
Courts of the Missing at the Honolulu Memorial - Honolulu, Hawaii
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Court 5 (cenotaph)

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
World War II FallenUnited States Navy Memorial The National Gold Star Family RegistryWW II Memorial National Registry
  2016, World War II Fallen
  2016, United States Navy Memorial - Assoc. Page
  2016, The National Gold Star Family Registry
  2016, WW II Memorial National Registry

 Photo Album   (More...

Submarine War Patrols
Start Year
End Year

Not Specified
My Participation in This Battle or Operation
From Year
To Year
Last Updated:
Nov 3, 2014
Personal Memories

Wahoo was ready for sea again on 16 January 1943. She performed sonar tests in Moreton Bay with USS Patterson (DD-392) before beginning her third war patrol. Three days later, the submarine passed into Vitiaz Strait en route to her patrol area. Wahoo's orders were to reconnoiter Wewak, a Japanese supply base on the north coast of New Guinea between Kairiru Island and coincidently, Mushu Island. There was one large problem: Wahoo had no charts of the harbor. However, it turned out that motor machinist's mate Dalton Keeter had bought a cheap school atlas while in Australia. It had a map of New Guinea with a small indentation labeled "Wewak". With that as a reference, a blowup of the Navy chart was made.

Japanese destroyer Harusame torpedoed by Wahoo.On 24 January 1943, Wahoo dove two miles (3 km) north of Kairiru Island and proceeded around the western end to penetrate Victoria Bay. She sighted the Japanese destroyer Harusame with RO-class submarines nested around it. The destroyer was getting underway, so Wahoo fired a spread of three torpedoes at the moving target; all missed aft. Another torpedo was fired, but the destroyer avoided by turning away, then circled and headed for Wahoo. Wahoo turned toward the destroyer and at a distance of 750 yards (690 m) fired one last torpedo.[7] This torpedo struck the destroyer amidships, breaking its back. Wahoo had no difficulty escaping the area. Despite heavy damage Harusame was beached and repaired.

The next day, Wahoo changed course for Palau. On 26 January, the submarine sighted the smoke of two ships. Wahoo obtained a position, launched two torpedoes at the leading ship and, 17 seconds later, two at the second ship. The first two torpedoes hit the Fukuei Maru. The third passed ahead of the second freighter, the fourth hit. Upon observing the damage, Wahoo discovered there were two more ships; a huge transport, the Buyo Maru, and a tanker. The Fukuei Maru was listing badly to starboard and sinking by the stern; the second ship was headed directly for Wahoo, at a slow speed. Ignoring this, Wahoo fired a three-torpedo spread at the transport; the second and third hit and stopped her.

Turning her attention to the second target, which was still headed for her, Wahoo fired two bow tubes "down the throat" to stop him. The second torpedo hit, but the target kept coming and forced the submarine to turn hard left at full speed to avoid being rammed. There followed so many explosions that it was hard to tell what was happening. Returning to periscope depth, Wahoo observed the Fukuei Maru had sunk; the second target was still moving, evidently with steering trouble; and the transport, Buyo Maru, was stopped but still afloat.

Wahoo headed for the transport and fired a bow tube; the torpedo passed directly under the middle of the ship but failed to explode. The sub then fired another torpedo which headed right for the stack and blew the target apart midships. The submarine then headed for the crippled freighter, which had formed up with a tanker, and both ships were moving away. Wahoo decided to let these two ships get over the horizon, while she surfaced to charge her batteries and attack the shipwrecked Japanese now sitting in about twenty lifeboats.[8] Controversy still attaches to this action in that troops in the water may have been deliberately targeted by Wahoo. Vice Admiral Charles A. Lockwood, the contemporary COMSUBPAC, asserts that the survivors were army troops and turned machinegun and rifle fire on Wahoo while she maneuvered on the surface, and that such resistance was common in submarine warfare.[9] Richard O'Kane stated that the fire from Wahoo was intended to force the troops to abandon their boats and that no troops were deliberately targeted.[7] Clay Blair, states that Morton opened fire first and the shipwrecked returned fire with handguns.[10]

After some time, Wahoo moved away to intercept the two fleeing ships. She decided to attack the tanker first since she was as yet undamaged. With only four torpedoes left, the submarine fired two at the tanker, the second hitting her just abaft of midships, breaking her back; she went down almost instantly. Wahoo then turned her attention to the freighter and fired her last two torpedoes without a spread. They both hit. Fifteen minutes later, the freighter sank, having absorbed four hits from three separate attacks. Wahoo then set a course for Fais Island. Postwar, JANAC credited Wahoo with only three sinkings: the transport, Buyo Maru (5,300 tons), Fukuei Maru (2,000 tons), and an unknown maru (4,000 tons).

A broom on the USS Wahoo, Pearl Harbor, 1943On 27 January 1943, Wahoo made contact with a convoy of eight ships, including two freighters and a tanker. Efforts to gain a position were foiled by a persistent destroyer escort who dropped six depth charges. The submarine had no option but to retreat since she had previously expended all torpedoes. The next day, Wahoo sighted Fais Island, and her plan to shell a phosphorite refinery was scrapped due to the untimely appearance of an inter-island steamer.

The submarine left station and arrived at Pearl Harbor on 7 February, only 23 days after leaving Brisbane (most patrols were in the 60?75 day range). Prior to entering the naval base, Wahoo donned topside embellishments to celebrate her victory. A straw broom was lashed to her periscope shears to indicate a clean sweep. From the signal halyard fluttered eight tiny Japanese flags, one for each Japanese ship believed to have been sunk by Wahoo to that point in the war.

Wahoo commenced refit by a tender relief crew and the ship's crew. On 15 February, refit was completed, and the submarine was declared ready for sea on 17 February. She then conducted two days of training and was drydocked at the Submarine Base, Pearl Harbor, on 21 February.

My Photos From This Battle or Operation
No Available Photos

  224 Also There at This Battle:
  • Azer, John, CAPT, (1928-1948)
  • Bernard, Lawrence, RADM, (1937-1971)
Copyright Inc 2003-2011