McClusky, Clarence, RADM

Deceased
 
 Service Photo   Service Details
68 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Rear Admiral Upper Half
Last Primary NEC
132X-Unrestricted Line Officer - Naval Flight Officer
Last Rating/NEC Group
Line Officer
Primary Unit
1954-1956, Commander Atlantic Reserve Fleet (COMLANTRESFLT)
Service Years
1926 - 1956
Rear Admiral Upper Half
Rear Admiral Upper Half

 Last Photo   Personal Details 


Home State
New York
New York
Year of Birth
1902
 
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Robert Cox, YNCS to remember McClusky, Clarence (Wade), RADM USN(Ret).

If you knew or served with this Sailor and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
 
Contact Info
Home Town
Not Specified
Last Address
Buffalo, New York

Date of Passing
Jun 27, 1976
 
Location of Interment
Not Specified
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Not Specified

 Official Badges 




 Unofficial Badges 






 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
Please add Admiral McClusky to your list of shipmates and visit often.  

This profile is about 75% complete.

See my other famous Naval leader profiles. 

For outstanding service while attached to USS ENTERPRISE, participating in raids on Marshall, Wake, Gilbert and Marcus islands and the Battle of Midway, he was awarded the Air Medal, the Distinguised Flying Cross, a letter of Commendation with Ribbon, a Ribbon and facsimile of the Presidential Unit Citation to ENTERPRISE, the Purple Heart Medal and the Navy Cross.

In addition, he held the American Defense Service Medal with Fleet Clasp; the American Medal; Asiatic-Pasific Campaign Medal; World War II victory Medal; Naval Occupation Service Medal, Asia Clasp; China Service Medal; National Defense Medal; Korean Service Medal; United Nations Service Medal; and the Korean Presidential unit Citation.

   
Other Comments:

  • Born on 1 June 1902 in Buffalo, New York.

  • Graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1926.

  • Became a Naval Aviator in 1929. 

  • Served in several air units, as well as on command staffs, as an instructor at the Naval Academy and at shore facilities.

  • In 1940 he was assigned to Fighting Squadron Six (VF-6), based on USS Enterprise(CV-6), and assumed command of that squadron in April 1941.

  • Lieutenant Commander McClusky became Enterprise air group commander in April 1942.

  • During the Battle of Midway, while leading his air group's scout bombers on 4 June 1942, he made the critical tactical decision that led to the destruction of the Japanese aircraft carriers Kaga and Akagi, thus making a vital contribution to the outcome of that pivotal battle.

  • Commanded the escort carrier Corregidor (CVE-58).

  • Served in a variety of staff and shore positions in the later 1940s.

  • During the Korean War, he was Chief of Staff to the Commanders of the First and Seventh Fleets.

  • Commanded NAS Glenview, Illinois, in 1952–53.

  • Commander of the Boston Group of the Atlantic Reserve Fleet in 1954–56.

  • Retired from active duty in July 1956. 

  • At that time, in recognition of his vital contributions to the outcome of World War II, he was advanced to flag rank.

  • Died 27 June 1976.

  • USS McClusky (FFG-41) was named in his honor.


   
 Photo Album   (More...


  1952-1953, 132X, NAS Glenview IL

Captain

From Month/Year
- / 1952

To Month/Year
- / 1953

Unit
NAS Glenview IL Unit Page

Rank
Captain

NEC
132X-Unrestricted Line Officer - Naval Flight Officer

Location
Not Specified

Country/State
Not Specified
 
 
 Patch
 NAS Glenview IL Details

NAS Glenview IL

Type
Garrison - Base Station

Existing/Disbanded
Deactivated

Parent Unit
Naval Air Stations

Strength
Installation

Created/Owned By
Not Specified
   

Last Updated: Jul 22, 2009
   
Memories For This Unit

Chain of Command
He commanded NAS Glenview, Illinois, in 1952?53.

Other Memories
Naval Air Station Glenview or NAS Glenview was an operational U.S. Naval Air Station from 1923 to 1995. Located in Glenview, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago, the air base primarily operated seaplanes on nearby Lake Michigan, and later, P-3 Orions, stationed there as a staging point for Anti-submarine warfare against Soviet submarines. The former air base has now been redeveloped into a residential subdivision and commercial area called The Glen, although the control tower has been preserved as a historic building. Hangar 1, including the control tower, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998 as building #98001357.

On November 2, 1978, Air Force One, carrying President Carter arrived at NAS Glenview, as Carter was doing fundraising appearances in the Chicago area. Carter left via Air Force One from O'Hare Airport the following day.

The base was originally built by the Curtiss Flying Service and intended to be the hub of Chicago's air service. When the field was dedicated on October 20, 1929, it was home to the largest hangar built to that time, Hangar One.

Hangar One, one of the most advanced hangars at the time, included many innovations which were considered state-of-the-art in its time. A one gigacandela electric light was erected which allowed for airfield activity in the dark. Additionally, a system of carefully designed sliding doors created dividers for storage and zone heating. Glassed-in galleries allowed passengers the opportunity to watch the mechanics at work on the ground floor. A passenger-friendly restaurant and lounge were opened in the upper levels. A loudspeaker system informed the passengers of the flight arrivals and departures. The final cost for the airfield and Hangar One was $3 million in 1930. By adjusting the price for inflation, the relative cost in 2005 would be about $32.4 million. It was widely believed to be one of the Midwest's finest airports.

In 1930, the National Air Races took place at Curtiss Field and in 1933, the International Air Races took place there in conjunction with the Century of Progress. Such aviation luminaries as Charles Lindbergh, Wiley Post, and Jimmy Doolittle attended. In 1934, Post tried to set an aviation altitude record from Curtiss. By 1938, civilian and military operations both ran out of the field, but in 1940, it was sold outright to the United States Navy. The name was officially changed to the Naval Air Station Glenview on January 1, 1943.

   
   
My Photos For This Duty Station
No Available Photos
4 Members Also There at Same Time
NAS Glenview IL

Jump, Cecil, SCPO, (1942-1966) YN YN-0000 Petty Officer First Class
Hughes, David, SN, (1951-1955) YN YN-0000 Seaman
McClusky Jr., Clarence, RDML, (1921-1956) Captain
Dubus, Herbert B., MCPO, (1952-1974) Seaman Recruit

Copyright Togetherweserved.com Inc 2003-2011