Fluckey, Eugene Bennett, RADM

 Service Photo   Service Details
30 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Rear Admiral Upper Half
Last Primary NEC
112X-Unrestricted Line Officer - Submarine Warfare
Last Rating/NEC Group
Line Officer
Primary Unit
1968-1972, 112X, Military Assistance Advisory Group (MAAG)
Service Years
1935 - 1972
Rear Admiral Upper Half
Rear Admiral Upper Half

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

93 kb

Home State
District Of Columbia
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Robert Cox, YNCS to remember Fluckey, Eugene Bennett (Lucky), RADM USN(Ret).

If you knew or served with this Sailor and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Contact Info
Home Town
Washington, DC
Last Address
Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis, Maryland

Date of Passing
Jun 28, 2007
Location of Interment
U.S. Naval Academy Cemetery - Annapolis, Maryland
Wall/Plot Coordinates

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
Dept of Dist of Col.
  1945, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States (VFW), Dept of Dist of Col. (Member) (Temple Hills, Maryland) - Chap. Page

 Additional Information
Last Known Activity

Admiral Eugene B. Fluckey, went on Eternal Patrol at 11:45 PM EDT on June 28, 2007. At time of death he was in the Hospice Unit at Anne Arundel Hospital, Annapolis Md.

Hand salute to our Greatest American Submarine Hero!

Please add Admiral Fluckey to your list of shipmates and visit often.
  • Born in Washington, DC on October 5, 1913 and was raised in Neoga, Illinois.
  • In 1931 he entered the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland, graduated in 1935 and received his commission as an Ensign.
  • Initial assignments were aboard the battleship Nevada (BB-36) and the destroyer McCormick (DD-223).
  • Entered the submarine service in 1938 by instruction at Naval Submarine School, Groton, Connecticut and assigned to the submarine S-42.
  • In 1941-1942 he completed five war patrols on Bonita (SS-165) and was promoted to Lieutenant.
  • As Commanding Officer of Barb (SS-220) he established himself as one of the greatest submarine skippers, credited with the most tonnage sunk by a U.S. skipper during World War II. 17 ships including a carrier, cruiser, and frigate.
  • Awarded four Navy Cross Medals for extraordinary heroism during the eighth, ninth, tenth, and twelfth war patrols of Barb. During his famous eleventh patrol, he received the Medal of Honor. Barb received two Presidential Unit Citations for the eighth and eleventh patrols and the Navy Unit Commendation for the twelfth patrol.
  • Was the Personal Aide to the Chief of Naval Operations, Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz from late 1945 to mid-1947.
  • Selected for flag rank in 1960 and reported as Commander, Amphibious Group 4, presidency of the Board of Inspection and Survey and a temporary assignment as Task Force Director of the Shipyards Appraisal Group.
  • In June 1964 to June 1966 Rear Admiral Fluckey served as Commander Submarine Force, Pacific.
  • Served as Director of Naval Intelligence.
  • Prior to his death he was the most decorated living American.
  • Was one of six Eagle Scouts known to have received the Medal of Honor.
This profile was created on June 29, 2007.
Other Comments:

Medal of Honor citation:

"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as commanding officer of the U.S.S. Barb during her 11th war patrol along the east coast of China from 19 December 1944 to 15 February 1945. After sinking a large enemy ammunition ship and damaging additional tonnage during a running 2-hour night battle on 8 January, Comdr. Fluckey, in an exceptional feat of brilliant deduction and bold tracking on 25 January, located a concentration of more than 30 enemy ships in the lower reaches of Nankuan Chiang (Mamkwan Harbor). Fully aware that a safe retirement would necessitate an hour's run at full speed through the uncharted, mined, and rock-obstructed waters, he bravely ordered, "Battle station — torpedoes!" In a daring penetration of the heavy enemy screen, and riding in 5 fathoms [9 m] of water, he launched the Barb's last forward torpedoes at 3,000 yard [2.7 km] range. Quickly bringing the ship's stern tubes to bear, he turned loose 4 more torpedoes into the enemy, obtaining 8 direct hits on 6 of the main targets to explode a large ammunition ship and cause inestimable damage by the resultant flying shells and other pyrotechnics. Clearing the treacherous area at high speed, he brought the Barb through to safety and 4 days later sank a large Japanese freighter to complete a record of heroic combat achievement, reflecting the highest credit upon Comdr. Fluckey, his gallant officers and men, and the U.S. Naval Service."

​​​​​Please visit my WW II Submarine famous Naval officer profiles:
 Photo Album   (More...

  1938-1941, 112X, USS S-42 (SS-153)

Lieutenant Junior Grade

From Month/Year
- / 1938

To Month/Year
- / 1941

USS S-42 (SS-153) Unit Page

Lieutenant Junior Grade

112X-Unrestricted Line Officer - Submarine Warfare

Not Specified

Not Specified
 USS S-42 (SS-153) Details

USS S-42 (SS-153)

Sub-Surface Vessels


Parent Unit


Created/Owned By
Not Specified

Last Updated: Jun 30, 2007
Memories For This Unit

Chain of Command
In December 1938, Lieutenant (junior grade) Fluckey was assigned to the submarine S-42.

Other Memories
USS S-42 (SS-153) was the first submarine in the third group of S-class submarines of the United States Navy. Her keel was laid down on 16 December 1920 by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation in Quincy, Massachusetts. She was launched on 30 April 1923 sponsored by Mrs. Henry A. Hutchins, Jr., and commissioned on 20 November 1924, Lieutenant J. H. Brown, Jr., in command.

Following shakedown off the New England coast, S-42 departed New London, Connecticut, in January 1925 and moved south to Coco Solo, whence she operated, both in the Caribbean Sea and in the Pacific Ocean, until the spring of 1927. Then ordered to Hawaii, she cleared the Gulf of Panama in May, was refitted in California, and arrived at Pearl Harbor on 22 July. The following month, she joined other fleet units in searching for missing Dole Air Race competitors and, later in the year, returned to California. Overhaul followed; and, on 4 February 1928, she rejoined the Battle Force at San Diego, California, where she was based into 1930. In December of that year, S-42?s division was transferred to Pearl Harbor. She then operated in Hawaiian waters and during annual fleet problems, off the Panama Canal Zone and in the Caribbean. From 1932 through 1935, however, she rotated between those active duty operations with Submarine Division 11 and inactive periods with Reserve Submarine Division 14.

In March 1936, S-42 was transferred back to the submarine base at Coco Solo, where she was homeported until ordered to New London in June 1941. From New London, she shifted to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and with others of her division, now Submarine Division 53, she underwent modernization overhaul.

With more up-to-date equipment?which did not include air conditioning?and somewhat improved performance capabilities, she moved south to Bermuda in November and conducted training and patrol operations there into December. Then, after 7 June, she proceeded back to the Canal Zone.

During January 1942, S-42 conducted security patrols in the Pacific approaches to the Canal. In February, she prepared to join Allied forces in the southwest Pacific, and, in early March, she started out across the ocean. On 15 April, she arrived in Moreton Bay, Brisbane, Australia. There, Submarine Division 53 joined the S-boats of the Asiatic Fleet, forming TF 42. These World War I-designed submarines were to "fill the gap," to impede Japanese progress in the Bismarck Archipelago and the Solomon Islands, until larger and better equipped fleet submarines could be sent to the area.

Ten days after her arrival, S-42 cleared Moreton Bay and headed north across the Coral Sea for her first war patrol. After reaching 15 degrees south, she ran submerged during the day and surfaced at night to recharge her batteries and allow a brief respite from the high temperatures and humidity of submerged running. On the afternoon of 3 May, she entered her assigned patrol area, and, that evening, she closed the coast of New Ireland. Two days later, she sighted, fired on, and missed a medium-sized tender off Cape St. George. On 6 May, she shifted eastward to patrol between Buka and the cape. On 11 May, while off the New Ireland coast, she sighted the minelayer Okinoshima, through driving rain from the east. She fired four torpedoes, scored with three; and sent the 4400-ton Japanese ship to the bottom.

The action, begun at 0439, was over by 0452. But, by 0515, enemy destroyers were closing S-42?s position. Within five minutes, they began dropping depth charges. At 1130, the last depth charge attack took place. At 1430, the last sound contact was made with the still searching enemy.

Sea water leaked into the control room in increasing amounts, but S-42 remained submerged for another four hours. She then surfaced to repair some of the damage and recharge her batteries. When she submerged, she was unable to control her depth. She surfaced for further temporary repairs. At dawn, she dived successfully.

Leaks in the control room, however, continued, and she headed home. That day, 12 May, she attempted to send a message to ComSubRon 5. Two days later, she was still attempting to raise Brisbane, sending her message via Port Moresby, Townsville, Queensland, and Honolulu, Hawaii. On 16 May, her port engine flooded, but was put back into commission, temporarily. On 17 May, she raised Dutch Harbor, whence her dispatches were relayed to Brisbane. Three days later, she arrived in Moreton Bay.

On 3 July, S-42 departed Brisbane for her second patrol. On 12 July, prior to taking up her offensive role in St. George's Channel, she landed an agent at Adler Bay, near Rabaul. His first report, soon dispatched, warned her to avoid native canoes as the Japanese were paying well for information. Weather, however, proved to be the worst impediment, encountered as frequent rains and heavy seas hindered her hunting.

On the night of 19 July, S-42 returned to Adler Bay; reembarked the Australian intelligence officer then got underway for Brisbane, where she arrived on 28 July.

During the first week in August, the Allied offensive began with the landings on Guadalcanal. Two weeks later, on 21 August, S-42 headed for the Solomons to support the offensive by patrolling in the already bloodied and iron-filled waters of the Savo Island?Cape Esperance area.

On 23 August, an engine room hatch, improperly latched, began to leak?15 gallons per hour at 90 feet. Wooden wedges were driven into the coaming, reducing the flow to a drip. S-42 continued on to the Solomons.

She arrived on station five days later and remained into September; but?without modern electronics, quick maneuverability, and speed?she was unable to close the night convoys from Rabaul.

Upkeep at Brisbane occupied the period between 19 September and 19 October. On 20 October, she headed for the Solomons to intercept traffic on the Rabaul-Faisi-Buin line. Assigned to Bougainville Strait, she again made many contacts, but was unable to score. On 2 November, she fired four torpedoes at a destroyer steaming in company with three others. An explosion was heard, but depth charge attacks precluded determining the results.

On 5 November, she departed the area and made for the Fiji Islands. On 16 November, she moored in Suva harbor, where she was joined by others of her division and, on 1 December, she got underway to return to the United States.

Transiting the Panama Canal in early January 1943, she proceeded to Cuba in February; provided antisubmarine warfare training services for newly commissioned destroyers through March, then continued on to Philadelphia, where she underwent overhaul and acquired air conditioning and radar. In late June, she departed Hampton Roads for San Diego, whence she sailed for the Aleutian Islands in mid-August. On 2 September, she departed Dutch Harbor for the Kuril Islands and her only North Pacific war patrol.

Stopping en route at Attu, the forty-day patrol was spent primarily in the Paramushiro-Onekotan area. She returned to Dutch Harbor on 12 October. On 23 November, she departed again. En route to her assigned area, her port engine seized, and her patrol was cancelled. On 27 November, she put into Massacre Bay, Attu, where she remained for repairs into January 1944. In February, she returned to Dutch Harbor thence proceeded to Pearl Harbor and another tour in the southwest Pacific.

S-42 arrived at Milne Bay, New Guinea, on 19 March. There, through May, she provided target services to ships conducting antisubmarine warfare exercises. In June, she shifted to Seeadler Harbor in the Admiralty Islands; provided similar services until 1 August; then prepared for her last war patrol. Five days later, she got underway for Halmahera with a four-man Australian intelligence team embarked. On 15 August, 21 August, and 22 August, members of the team were landed, singly, at designated points. These men were to contact and pick up other agents previously landed. On 26 August, the scout landed at Gorango Bay was recovered alone. He had been unable to contact his assigned agent. The other scouts were not recovered. On 3 September, S-42 returned to Seeadler Harbor.

Resuming ASW training duties, S-42 remained in the Admiralties into October. At mid-month, she arrived at Brisbane for overhaul; and, in January 1945, she returned to the Admiralties. In mid-February, she departed Manus for California, arriving at San Diego at the end of March. There, she provided training services for the West Coast Sound School through the end of World War II. In September, she shifted to San Francisco, California, where she was decommissioned on 25 October 1945. Struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 13 November, she was sold for scrapping in November 1946.

S-42 earned one battle star during World War II.

My Photos For This Duty Station
S-42 (SS-153)
S-42 (SS-153), a Quincy built S-boat
S-42  (SS-153)
S-42 (SS-153) tied up along the dock at Groton
4 Members Also There at Same Time
USS S-42 (SS-153)

Bobba, Primo Luigi, PO1, (1934-1943) MM MM-0000 Petty Officer Second Class
Poole, Mason, CPO, (1934-1944) EM EM-0000 Petty Officer Third Class
Harris, John Soloman, PO2, (1935-1944) TM TM-0000 Seaman 1st Class
Glenn, Curtis, PO2, (1939-1943) AS AS-0000 Apprentice Seaman

Copyright Togetherweserved.com Inc 2003-2011