VF-191 SATAN'S KITTENS Call sign "Feedbag" VF-191 or Fighter Squadron 191 (Satan's Kittens) of the United States Navy was established in 1943 and disestablished in 1978. A second squadron, bearing the same designation was established for a short time again between 1986 and 1988.
VF-191 was established as fighter squadron VF-19 Bulldogs on 15 August 1943. On November 15, 1946 it was re-designated VF-19A. On 24 August 1948 it was finally re-designated VF-191 and adopted the new nickname Satan's Kittens. It was disestablished on 1 March 1978.
VF-191 and sister squadron VF-194 were the two shortest-lived F-14 squadrons in history. The original VF-191 took part in World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. During the latter conflict the squadron took part in several combat cruises, flying variants of the F-8 Crusader. After Vietnam VF-191 continued operations with the F-8 until 1976, when they transitioned to theF-4 Phantom II. A single cruise in the F-4 followed, as VF-191 was disestablished in 1978. The VF-191 established on 4 December 1986 can claim the unit's name and markings but it did not have the heritage of the original VF-191. After training with VF-124, and being due to deploy on board theUSS Independence (CV-62) as part of CVW-10 with the F-14A Tomcat, VF-191 was disestablished April 30, 1988, before the cruise could take place.