If you knew or served with this Sailor and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Home Town New Brunswick, NJ
Last Address Georgetown, MD
Date of Passing Jan 10, 1960
Location of Interment Arlington National Cemetery - Arlington, Virginia
Wall/Plot Coordinates Not Specified
Last Known Activity Arthur Schuyler Carpender (October 24, 1884-1960) was an American Vice Admiral during World War II commanding U.S. naval forces in the Southwest Pacific.
A direct descendant of Wolphert Gerretse Van Kouwenhoven, was born to John Neilson Carpender and Anna Neilson Kemp on October 24, 1884.
Entering the United States Navy in the late 1890s, Carpender would eventually commanding the Destroyers Atlantic Fleet from December 1941 to June 1942, Carpender was assigned to General Douglas MacArthur's Southwest Pacific Force on September 11, 1942 succeeding former deputy Admiral Leary. Although disagreeing on the deployment of the small naval force, particularly on sending Allied destroyers and submarines to support Australian forces near Buna during the Lilliput Plan, Carpender worked with McArthur to combat the severe supply shortages hindering "MacArthur's Navy" (later reorganized as the U.S. 7th Fleet on February 19, 1943).
Observing the capabilities of PT boats during his evacuation from the Philippines, MacArthur encouraged their use as Carpender effectively made use of the torpedo boats during the Battle of the Bismarck Sea on March 25, 1943. Along with Rear Admiral Daniel E. Barbey, Carpender would oversee the fleet's operations during Operation Cartwheel.
Replaced by Admiral Thomas C. Kincaid on November 26, Carpender would later command the Ninth Naval District from January 3, 1944 until September 2, 1945, during which time the construction of the USS Macabi (SS-375) would be sponsored by Carpender's wife, before his retirement in 1946. Carpender would continue to live in retirement with his wife Helena until his death in the Georgetown area of Washington, DC on 10 Jan 1960.