The officers of Gurnard (SS-254). This was taken on the day that her CO, Cdr. C.H. Andrews, third officer from the left, was awarded the Navy Cross by VADM Lockwood, ComSubPac. The officer on the far left, Lt. George S. Simmons III, was aboard Gurnard at commissioning and went on to become her third and final Commanding Officer (as a Lt. Cdr.) on 5 March 1945. He was also the only officer plankowner when Gurnard decommissioned on 27 November 1945.