From the original tent dispensary established in 1914 to the modern facility of today, Naval Medical Center San Diego's (NMCSD) mission has remained constant: provide the finest medical care in a family-centered environment to military service members, their families and those who served in the past.
1914 A tent dispensary manned by Navy personnel is established in Balboa Park to support the 4th Marine Regiment. 1917 Medical capabilities expand to support the newly commissioned Navy training camp in Balboa Park. 1919 Secretary of the Navy Josephus Daniels establishes war dispensary as a Naval Hospital. 1922 August 22, Naval Hospital opens with a 204 bed capacity. 1941 - 1945 World War II - More than 172,000 patients received treatment at the hospital. At the peak of WWII, as many as 5,000 patients were admitted each month. 1977 Congressman Bob Wilson authored and introduced legislation authorizing the Secretary of the Navy to negotiate with the City of San Diego to exchange existing properties in the hospital complex for other adjacent facilities. 1979 First public vote to approve hospital expansion failed to receive required two-thirds majority. 1980 Through Bob Wilson's leadership, the Navy received approval and Congress appropriated $293 million for hospital construction at the present Florida Canyon site. 1981 October 3, Navy and local leaders break ground on Hospital site. 1988 January 23, Naval Medical Center San Diego is dedicated. January 30, Hospital officially opens as 200 patients move from the old hospital to the new facility.