The United States Navy started construction of a naval air station at Kodiak in September 1939, and the station was commissioned on 15 June 1941. Built between 1939 and 1944, the Kodiak facilities served as the main forward operating base for the defense of Alaska, and for operations in the Aleutians' campaign in WWII. Fort Greely, a United States Army facility located in the Buskin River area, housed the forces that operated the island's defenses. The WWII facilities included an airfield with numerous hangars, a seaplane base for a fleet of Consolidated PBY Catalina's, and a submarine base. Home to PBY squadrons early in World War II, Kodiak supported the Aleutian Islands Campaign of 1943, operating scouting and air transport squadrons. The Coast Guard Air Station Kodiak was commissioned as an Air Detachment in April 1947, operating a single PBY Catalina. This was the Coast Guard's first aircraft permanently stationed in Alaska. In October 1950, Kodiak was designated Naval Station, and in 1972 the site was turned over to the U.S. Coast Guard.