SIDE BAR: So, under how many names has the base operated? Since the day it was opened the base has been redesignated almost half-a-dozen times, and on one occasion, earned a local name that was never officially recognized. Because of its geographic location, and the positioning of its main entrance, today's Naval Base San Diego has been known as 32nd Street Naval Station not only by the local community, but Sailors and veterans around the world. The moniker was never officially recognized, although the name did appear countless times not only in local publications, but Navy publications as well. The official name, Naval Base San Diego, is the fourth official title and the correct way to reference the base. The base was first named the U.S. Destroyer Base, San Diego under the pen of then acting Secretary of the Navy T.R. Roosevelt, Feb. 23, 1922. Because of its expanding repair and maintenance operations leading to World War II, the Secretary of the Navy re-named the base U.S. Naval Repair Base, San Diego on Oct. 7, 1943, a name it retained throughout the war. After World War II, however, and in line with continued changes in base operations, increased fleet logistical support and training, the Secretary of the Navy re-designated the base Naval Station, San Diego on Sept. 15, 1946. The designation, of course, lasted more than a half-century. Then, in the late nineties, a realignment of the base under the greater Commander, Navy Region Southwest and increased logistical responsibilities supported the most recent, more appropriate designation: Naval Base San Diego. Compiled from the research and writings of local historian James D. Eland in the Nov. 1995 edition of "Traditions, San Diego's Military Heritage magazine."