Hull number AO-15
From the following website:
USS Kaweah (AO-15)¬†was the¬†lead ship¬†of¬†her class¬†of fleet replenishment oilers in the¬†United States Navy.
Kaweah was launched in 1919 by¬†William Cramp & Sons,¬†Philadelphia, under USSB account; acquired by the Navy 20 October 1921; and commissioned 28 December 1921, Lt. Comdr. O. Beuilagua, USNRF, in command.
After¬†sea trials¬†Kaweah departed¬†New Orleans¬†early January 1922 and arrived Philadelphia 18 January. She departed 14 March for a cruise to the Canal Zone and the¬†Gulf of Mexico. She returned to Norfolk 7 May and decommissioned 15 August 1922.
Kaweah recommissioned 16 December 1940, Commander¬†Charles B. McVay III, USN in command. From early 1941 until late fall, she made oil runs between ports on the East Coast and the¬†Caribbean. She arrived¬†NS Argentia,¬†Newfoundland, 17 November for duty in the North Atlantic. For the next 14 months she operated between¬†Iceland,¬†Greenland, and¬†Boston, supplying the fleet with gasoline and diesel oil. She departed¬†New York¬†13 January 1943 with a cargo of diesel oil for¬†Casablanca, returning¬†New York¬†12 March. Kaweah made another round trip cruise to Casablanca in April before resuming fueling operations at¬†Halifax, Nova Scotia, 26 June. For the remainder of 1943 she cruised in convoy between¬†New England¬†and¬†Iceland¬†supplying the fleet units with vital fuel.
For the duration of the war the oiler cruised along the North American coast, Greenland, and the Caribbean with aviation fuel and diesel oil. Throughout the war Kaweah remained almost constantly at sea on the important, never-ending duty of keeping the fleet supplied with petroleum products. Following the cessation of hostilities 14 August 1945, Kaweah arrived¬†Hampton Roads, Va., 26 September and decommissioned at Norfolk 16 November 1945. She was transferred to the WSA 28 May 1946 and sold to¬†Boston Metals Co.,¬†Baltimore, for scrapping.
This article incorporates text from the¬†public domain¬†Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.