Last Known Activity|
SK 1/c Edwin Leroy Danielson, USNR (V-6)
WWII Armed Guard Service
Edwin L. Danielson, 91, of 3 East Seventh St., Celoron, died at 5:55 a.m. Thursday (September 2, 2010) in the Heritage Green Rehab and Skilled Nursing Facility.
He was born October 13, 1918 in Jamestown, NY, the son of Gunnard C. E. and Hanna C. Hedberg Danielson.
In the early 1920's his family moved to a farm on the Bellview Road, now known as 3909 Bellview Road, near Ellery Center. He began his schooling in 1925 at the one-room schoolhouse known as Maple Grove located at the intersection of Dutch Hollow and Beck roads. In 1927 the family moved to Celoron. He was a 1936 graduate of the former Celoron High School and was employed as a bookkeeper by the former Chautauqua Plywood Corp. in West Ellicott until his induction into the U. S. Navy in February 1942. He served in the Navy through March 1946, his first assignment being at the Armed Guard Center in Brooklyn, NY, and his last aboard the U.S.S. Sheridan, APA 51, in the South Pacific and Tokyo Bay at the war's end, attaining the rank of Storekeeper First Class. After being discharged in March 1946, he returned to New York City for an intended short visit, but remained for the next forty years, returning to Celoron upon retirement in 1986.
He was preceded in death by his parents and four brothers; Wendell L. of Hamburg, NY; Elmer G. of Celoron, NY; Donald W. of Celoron, NY; and Robert I. (infant).
He is survived by a nephew Eugene Danielson, Jamestown; and eight nieces, Delia Sarro, Webster, NY; Diane Carlos, Greenhurst, NY; Bonnie Danielson, Jamestown, NY; Janet Labadie, Jamestown, NY; Lou Ann Griffin, Randolph, NY; Jackie Lawson, Panama, NY; Donna Frederick, Warren, PA; and Barbara Rhodes, Cassadaga, NY.
There will be no visitation or service at Edwin's request. Interment will be in Sunset Hill Cemetery.
Mr. Danielson was a chasrter member of the Legacy Society. Memorials may be made to The Hanna-Carola Art Scholarship Fund, and/or the Edwin L. Danielson Community Service Fund, c/o Chautauqua Region Community Foundation, 418 Spring Street, Jamestown, NY 14701.