Porter, Raymond L., LTJG

 Service Photo   Service Details
46 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Last Primary NEC
131X-Unrestricted Line Officer - Pilot
Last Rating/NEC Group
Line Officer
Primary Unit
1944-1945, 131X, USS Ticonderoga (CV-14)
Service Years
1943 - 1945
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Thomas Herwer-Family to remember Porter, Raymond L., LTJG.

If you knew or served with this Sailor and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Last Address
Butler, PA

Casualty Date
Aug 06, 1945
Hostile, Died while Captured
Other Explosive Device
World War II
Location of Interment
Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery - St. Louis, Missouri
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Group Burial in Plot: Section 82 Site 156

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
World War II Fallen
  1945, World War II Fallen

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar
Naval Aviator Wings

 Enlisted/Officer Basic Training
  1943, Aviation Officer Candidate School (AOCS) (Pensacola, FL), A
 Duty Stations
USS Ticonderoga (CV-14)
  1944-1945, 131X, USS Ticonderoga (CV-14)
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1945-1945 World War II/Asiatic-Pacific Theater
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
LT(jg) Porter was a pilot with VB-87, CVG-87, aboard the USS Ticonderoga (CV-14).

On the morning of 28 July 1945, Lt.(jg) Porter flew from the Ticonderoga (CV-14) aboard an SB2C-4 Helldiver (BU#  21079) on a mission to destroy the heavily armed Japanese cruiser Tone in Kure Harbor, near Hiroshima, Japan

Hia plane was shot down during the mission, Porter and his crew mate, ARM3C Norman R. Brissette, were adrift for two days before being captured.

The Navy declared  Porter as missing in action for a year before deciding that he must have died either while adrift in Hiroshima Bay or soon after capture. It was not until 24 June 1949 that the real cause of Porter's death was determined. After capture, Lt.(jg) Porter was held in the Chugoku Chugoku Kempei-Tai (Military Police Headquaters) in Hiroshima until the morning 6 August 1945 when the headquaters was distroyed by the atomic bomb.

His remains were found and interred in Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, Missouri.
Not Specified
Copyright Togetherweserved.com Inc 2003-2011