Kerbow, Harry Jack, CPO

 Service Photo   Service Details
View Time Line
Last Rank
Chief Petty Officer
Last Primary NEC
PhM-0000-Pharmacist Mate
Last Rating/NEC Group
Pharmacist's Mate
Primary Unit
1940-1942, PhM-0000, USS Otus (AS-20)
Service Years
1932 - 1945
PhM-Pharmacist's Mate
Three Hash Marks

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
Not Specified
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Tommy Burgdorf (Birddog), FC2 to remember Kerbow, Harry Jack, CPO.

If you knew or served with this Sailor and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
San Diego
Last Address
Not Specified

Casualty Date
Jan 27, 1945
Hostile, Died while Captured
Other Explosive Device
World War II/Asiatic-Pacific Theater/Philippine Islands Campaign (1941-42)/Battle of Bataan
Location of Interment
Not Specified
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Not Specified

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar
Submarine Enlisted Badge
Submarine Combat Patrol Badge

 Unit Assignments/ Advancement Schools
US Navy
  1940-1942, PhM-0000, USS Otus (AS-20)
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1941-1941 Philippine Islands Campaign (1941-42)/Japanese air attacks on US vessels in Cavite
  1942-1942 Philippine Islands Campaign (1941-42)/Battle of Bataan
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity

                                        USS Otus (AS-20)

Assigned to the Asiatic Fleet as a submarine tender, she was anchored in Mariveles Harbor, Philippine Islands, on 7 December 1941. On 10 December 1941 she was slightly damaged during the Japanese air raid on the Cavite Navy Yard, when several bombs landed near her starboard side. Not wanting to risk one of the few tenders in his command, Admiral Hart, Commander Asiatic Fleet ordered Otus to leave the Philippines.

Departing 10 December she arrived at Port Darwin, Australia on 28 December. Remaining at Port Darwin through January, 1942 Otus steamed to Java and Trincomalee, Ceylon, during February and the first part of March. She returned to Australia on 10 March, where she tended submarines at Fremantle until departing for the United States on 25 July.


These two 7,000 ton Japanese passenger ships were being used to transport some 1,619 American Prisoners of War, mostly officers, to Japan. Marched through the streets of Manila from the Bilibid POW Camp to Pier 7 for boarding, the prisoners were crammed into the holds, standing room only. Also on board were around 700 civilians plus 100 crew and 30 Japanese guards. Already overloaded, the Oryoku Maru then took on about 1,000 Japanese seamen, survivors of ships sunk in Manila Harbour. She was spotted on her next day out at sea by US Navy planes from the carrier USS Hornet and attacked. The Oryoku Maru sailed into Subic Bay in the Philippines and ran aground to prevent her sinking. The attack continued over a period of two days in which 286 US soldiers were killed. The survivors, numbering 925, who were forced to swim ashore, were then transported by truck and train to San Fernando and thence to other ships, the Enoura Maru and Brazil Maru. The Brazil Maru, which also carried a cargo of 12,000 bags of sugar, sailed for Japan on January 14, 1945. Conditions on board were indescribable, hundreds dying on the way from the cold, lack of air and water. On arrival at Moji in Japan two weeks later, only 475 were alive. Of these, 161 died within the first month ashore. Of the original 1,619 Americans on board the Oryoku Maru, around 300 had died. In a period of just over six weeks American submarines had killed over 4,000 Allied POWs.

(December, 1944)

Bronze StarPrisoner of War Medal

Rank/Rate Chief Pharmacist's Mate
Service Number 355 68 43
Birth Date *
From San Diego, California
Decorations Bronze Star, Prisoner of War Medal
Ship USS Otus (AS-20)
Date of Death January 27, 1945
Location Enroute to Japan aboard the Hellship Oryoku Maru
Circumstances Died as a Prisoner of War


Copyright Inc 2003-2011