Bove, Roger Gerhard, LT

 Service Photo   Service Details
257 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Last Primary NEC
110X-Unrestricted Line Officer - No Specialty Engagement
Last Rating/NEC Group
Line Officer
Primary Unit
1968-1969, 110X, River Assault Squadron-13 (RIVRON-13), USN Mobile Riverine Force Task Force-117 (TF-117)
Service Years
1963 - 1969

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

18 kb

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Tommy Burgdorf (Birddog), FC2 to remember Bove, Roger Gerhard, LT.

If you knew or served with this Sailor and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Arlington, VA
Last Address
Arlington, VA

Casualty Date
Jul 13, 1969
Hostile, Died
Air Loss, Crash - Land
Thua Thien (Vietnam)
Vietnam War
Location of Interment
Arlington National Cemetery - Arlington, Virginia
Wall/Plot Coordinates
21W 110

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
Vietnam Veterans MemorialUnited States Navy Memorial The National Gold Star Family Registry
  2012, Vietnam Veterans Memorial [Verified] - Assoc. Page
  2015, United States Navy Memorial - Assoc. Page
  2015, The National Gold Star Family Registry

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

 Duty Stations
River Assault Squadron-13 (RIVRON-13), USN Mobile Riverine Force Task Force-117 (TF-117)
  1968-1969, 110X, River Assault Squadron-13 (RIVRON-13), USN Mobile Riverine Force Task Force-117 (TF-117)
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1968-1969 Operation Game Warden
 Other News, Events and Photographs
  Vietnam Tour Dates
  Jul 13, 2012, General Photos2
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
On the morning of 13 July 1969, LT Mecredy was given the mission of flying the LOH for 2d BN, 327th INF. He departed LZ Sally with 2 passengers for drop off at Phy Bai airfield on the way to FSB Roy, where the battalion TOC had recently located. He arrived at FSB Roy at approximately 0825 hours. He was directed to fly to Coastal Group 13 and pick up LT Roger Bove, USN and bring him to FSB Roy. This he did without incident, shutting down upon his return at FSB Roy. About 1030 hours LT Mecredy departed FSB Roy with LT Bove to return him to Coastal Group 13. On the way they flew NW to the western end of a dike where a diversion dam is set into the dike, which extends across the northwestern end of the bay, Dam Cau Hai. LT Bove wished to inspect the dam, which he intended to blow, allowing his boats entrance into the Song Cong Quan stream. The flight to the dam was at 700-900 feet. At the appropriate spot a high overhead descent was made to 50 feet, one left hand circle was made and the aircraft departed at low level, LT Bove having stated the dam would be blown. As they departed LT Mecredy reminded himself of previous engine failures in his unit and began a normal climb to altitude. At about 250-300 feet and 60-70 knots, LT Mecredy heard a "loud crack" behind his head which was accompanied by a left yaw. Believing this to be an engine failure, LT Mecredy smiled to himself for his foresight as he floored the pitch, rolled off the throttle and corrected the yaw with right pedal. At this instant he noted LT Bove had unbuckled his seat belt and was sitting up as if he intended to do something. LT Mecredy yelled at him to fasten his harness and leaned over toward LT Bove, pushing the available seat belt and harness toward him to give him the idea to rebuckle. LT Mecredy stated he then locked his inertial reel as he checked his instruments, noting only that N1 was in the green. Cyclic control was still present, though there was a feedback which caused hand and arm motion. He therefore rolled on throttle and pulled a bit of pitch, getting a loud response from the engine which was "the best sound in the world". During this sequence of events he also noted that the water of the bay, which had previously been below and visible forward only between the pedals, was now straight ahead. At this point LT Mecredy believes that they were doing perhaps 90 knots, however he did not look at the airspeed indicator. Realizing they were going into the water he flipped the radio to guard and got off one MAY DAY which may have been on intercom, as he unlocked his inertial reel, pulled "a wild hairy flare, and big handful of pitch," at an estimated 10-15 feet altitude, but the collective response to the pitch pull "felt like a wet noodle." He believes that they hit tail low which caused them to cartwheel forward 5 or 6 times as he saw sky-water flash past in sequence several times. Coming to rest underwater, but still harnessed in his seat, LT Mecredy unstrapped and felt to his left where the passenger should have been, but found nothing. He then pushed straight out of his seat in a direction he assumed was through the bubble or perhaps the green house, though not certain anything of the aircraft was even there, and found himself standing in waist deep water. He noticed his helmet floating upright about 100 feet ahead of him, approximately in the direction of the original flight. He walked around what he thought was the aircraft looking for LT Bove but saw only the tail boom a few yards back down the track of flight. Finding nothing, he began wading toward the village calling for help from boats coming toward him. As he waded toward shore he found the log book which he picked up, then after a few yards decided he did not need it and pitched it over his shoulder. Picked up by a boat, he was carried to shore and dropped off, and the boat returned to the wreck. Others took him to the village and dressed his wounds. About 1 and 1/2 hours later a helicopter from his unit arrived and called a DUSTOFF that took him to the 22d Surgical Hospital in Phu Bai. The unit chopper then went out to the wreckage and recovered LT Bove's body and took it to the 22d Surgical Hospital.

Copyright Inc 2003-2011