Brown, Sylvester Lewis, RD3

 Service Photo   Service Details
48 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Petty Officer Third Class
Last Primary NEC
Last Rating/NEC Group
Primary Unit
1968-1968, RD-0000, Camp Tien Sha, Headquarters, NSA Danang, Vietnam
Service Years
1966 - 1968

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

32 kb

Home State
North Carolina
North Carolina
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Rick Bain (Baindog (SW/SCW), BM1 to remember Brown, Sylvester Lewis, PO3.

If you knew or served with this Sailor and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Kinston, NC
Last Address
Kinston, NC

Casualty Date
Oct 13, 1968
Non Hostile- Died Other Causes
Accidental Homicide
Quang Nam (Vietnam)
Vietnam War
Location of Interment
Southview Cemetery - Kinston, North Carolina
Wall/Plot Coordinates
41W 056

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
Vietnam Veterans Memorial
  2013, Vietnam Veterans Memorial [Verified] - Assoc. Page

 Ribbon Bar

 Duty Stations
SSC (Cadre/Faculty Staff) Great Lakes, ILLHeadquarters, NSA Danang, Vietnam, NSA Danang, Vietnam
  1966-1967, RD-0000, SSC (Cadre/Faculty Staff) Great Lakes, ILL
  1968-1968, RD-0000, Camp Tien Sha, Headquarters, NSA Danang, Vietnam
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1968-1968 Vietnam War
 Other News, Events and Photographs
  Oct 16, 2012, General Photos2
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
 Note:  Posthumous Promotion to Radarman 3rd Class

He was 20 years old and was not married. It was reported that Sylvester died when he was shot while on guard duty. His body was recovered. RD3 Brown is on panel 41W, line 056 of the Vietnam Memorial Wall in Washington D.C. He served our country for 2 years. 
I met him when he came in country as we were in the same unit. He was 20 years old. He liked to play poker and he could eat fried chicken all day, but he called it yard bird. One of his dreams that he told me he wanted to pursue after the war, was to study criminology. He was a new kid and he asked me questions all the time. He was very gung-ho and he was a squared away trooper. Always had a smile on his face and he was very up beat. He stood about 5'5" or so. In boot camp he was known as the house mouse. Meaning, he was the Drill Instructor's aide. He was killed Sunday, October 13, 1968. He had the midnight to six watch while on duty in the guard tower. I had walked by him and yelled out to my pal, that I was going to the px and asked if he wanted anything. He wanted some chicken (of course) and I went to the px. The kitchen was closed however and on my way back I told him that. That was the last time I saw Sylvester Brown alive.
This has stayed with me all of my years. I can still see his face. I lost a lot of buddies in that war, but Brown's death was the most haunting of all, because I was his mentor, and I wasn't there when it happened. He was a young guy, and he never had the opportunity to have kids or have a family or a life. The war won't let me forget Sylvester, and I remember him almost every day. I wrote him a letter after the war, to try and come to terms with what had happened. I am still trying. I always wanted to visit his family but haven't as of yet.
I served with Sylvester at the time of his death. I remember his sense of humor, always making us laugh. He nick-named me "mouse" and it stuck with me during my tour in Viet Nam. You will be remembered always and will always be my friend. Ron Deeter,
Twenty year old Sylvester Lewis Brown was killed in Vietnam October 13 when a bullet fired by a American Soldier struck him fatally. His parents, MR and Mrs Willie E Brown of Simon Bright homes were notified of his death Tuesday. "The men who came said a soldier wernt beserk and started shooting while Sylvester was on guard duty. A stray bullet hit him," Mrs Brown said. She said the Military stated Sylvester died of internal bleeding. He fell on the gound near his post, unnoticed and bled to death. "They didnt find him until it was too late, not until another fellow came on duty." Mrs Brown said Sylvester entered the Navy only four days after he was graduated from Adkin High School in 1966. "He wanted to go into the service and wanted to go to Vietnam...he volunteered.. He wrote me, "Momma, if I like it (Vietnam), I'm going to stay two years.." His assignment called only for 12 months. Mrs Brown said she was at work when word came of her son's death. "A woman came down the road. "I was told that my daughter was sick". As I went down the road a man told me there were two men in uniform waiting. "I'm sorry M'am, he's dead, one told me. They told me what happened. Later, the telegram came. Mrs Brown described her son as a quiet, well liked boy. "He was just a good is hard to put into words... he was liked by everybody he came in contact with." His last letter was received almost two weeks ago. "He was still on the ship working in the galley". I didnt know he was off. He did say in other letters sometimes Old Charlie..he called the enemy Charlie..gets to shooting at us. I get pretty nervous, but I will be all right..I looked in his annual and I noticed what he wanted to do was to go into the service, that's all." Survivors other than his parents include a brother, Gerald, who is in training at the Naval Training Center at Great Lakes, Illinois. Other survivors include another brother, Delmus 5, two sisters, Renee 17 and Kim 7 all of the home. He was a member of Saint Peter's Disciple Church and the grandson of the late Verna Cobb Mattocks. Funeral arrangements will be announced later by Lane's Funeral Home.
He was the son of Mr and Mrs Willie E Brown, 319B, Richard Green Homes, Kinston, NC.

Copyright Inc 2003-2011