Enlisted in the Naval Reserves at the Naval Reserve Station, Chattanooga, TN on Dec. 23, 1943 at the age of seventeen, and was assigned the rate of Apprentice Seaman. At the time of his enlistment he was described with a ruddy complexion, brown eyes, brown hair, six feet one-one half inches tall and weighed 134 pounds. He was assigned service # 6418252.
His active duty began Jan. 1, 1944 as he boarded a train in Chattanooga, TN for a trip to San Deigo, CA., where he completed boot camp on 27 Jan 1944. Upon completion of boot camp he boarded his first ship, (and only ship) the USS LCI (G) 465. It departed in convoy for Pearl Harbor, HI., enroute to the war zone in the South Pacific. On the morning of 12 July 1944 the USS LCI (G) 465 was just off the beachhead for the invasion of Guam where it remained until 15 Aug. 1944. His ship then visited the island of Kwajalein, Marshall Island, and Pearl Harbor, HI for some fun, relaxation and resupplying of the ship. In Sept. 1944 his ship set sail to the islands of Wendy and Admiralty, New Guinea where the ship again took on supplies.
On the 20th of Oct. 1944, his ship was just off the coast of Leyte. His ship was there in defense of the islands. He participated in three invasions during his tour in the South Pacific: Leyte, Guam, and Lingayen Gulf. Shortly after the Leyte invasion he developed medical problems and on 18 March 1945 reported onboard the USS Markab (AD-21) (USS Markab was in Leyte Gulf when he was transferred) for transporation out of the war zone for treatment. He was later honorably discharged for medical reasons from the (Old) Naval Hospital, Charleston, SC on July 27, 1945. He served a total of one year and seven months on active duty.
Summary of Military Service:
- ENLISTED AND PROCESSED NRS CHATTANOOGA 24 DEC 1943 TO 28 DEC 1943
- IN TRANSIT 28 DEC 1943 TO 01 JAN 1944
- USNTS, SAN DIEGO, CA - 01 JAN 1944 TO 27 JAN 1944
- IT APPEARS THAT HE REMAINED AT USNTS, SAN DIEGO, CA AWAITING HIS SHIP UNTIL 07 MAR 1944
- USS LCI (G) 465 - 07 MAR 1944 TO 09 MAR 1944 (ONBOARD 02 DAYS)
- USNH, SAN DIEGO, CA - 09 MAR 1944 TO 12 APR 1944
- RECEIVING STATION SAN DIEGO, CA - 12 APR 1944 TO 02 MAY 1944
- USS LCI (G) 465 - 02 MAY 1944 TO 21 MAY 1944 (ONBOARD 19 DAYS)
- RECEIVING STATION, NOUMEA, NEW CALEDONIA - 21 MAY 1944 TO 25 MAY 1944
- USS PINKNEY (APH-2) CASUALTY-EVACUATION TRANSPORT - 25 MAY 1944 TO 30 MAY 1944
- USS LCI (G) 465 - 30 MAY 1944 TO 18 MAR 1945 (ONBOARD 09 MONTHS, 18 DAYS)
- USS MARKAB (AD-21) 18 MAR 1945 TO 22 MAR 1945
- CNOB 3201 FFT TO AMER HOSP - 22 MAR 1945 TO 30 MAR 1945
- US ARMY 73RD FIELD HOSPITAL - 30 Mar 1945
- USS REFUGE (AH-11) - 30 MAR 1945 TO 16 APR 1945
- USNBH NO. 15, NAVY 3205 - 16 APR 1945 TO 14 May 1945
- USS CASABLANCA (CVE-55) - 14 MAY 1945 TO 02 JUN 1945
- USNH, SAN DIEGO, 34, CA - 02 JUN 1945 TO 11 JUL 1945
- USNH (Old Hospital), CHARLESTON, SC - 11 JUL 1945 TO 27 JUL 1945
- MEDICALLY DISCHARGED FROM CHARLESTON NAVAL HOSPITAL 27 JUL 1945